Monday, August 15, 2011

Chapter 7




They got back to the hotel quickly. Steph said her goodnight to the guys and headed upstairs. She went into her room and turned on the tv and found an old movie on and changed into pajamas. She began to watch. A half an hour later her cell rang. She looked at the caller id.
“Hi Richie,” she said.
“Were you asleep?”
“No,” she said.
“Great. So can I come over?”
“Sure,” she said. “What did you want to do?”
“Hang out a little, talk, maybe get some soda. David and Tico went down the hotel restaurant and wanted me to join them, but I don’t think I’m quite ready for that scene yet. But none of us can ever sleep after a show. Jon’s probably in the gym right about now having a workout.”
Just then she heard a soft knock at her adjoining door.
“Nope…he’s knocking on my door,” Steph said, “But come on over anyway, and the three of us will hang.”
“Ok,” he said and hung up the phone.
She opened the door, and smiled at Jon. “Hi.”
“Sorry. Did I wake you?”
“Nope,” She said softly, “I was up.”
Then a knock came on her other door.
“Room service?” Jon asked.
“Nope,” she said opening the door with a smile, “Richie.”
Jon’s expression kind of hardened at the sight of Richie. Obviously they had planned to hang out. Relax. She promised him she’d be there for him if he was tempted to drink. This is our first night out, and she’s probably keeping him company so he doesn’t go down to the bar, he thought.
“So,” Richie asked with a grin. “Am I interrupting anything?”
Steph just smiled. “No, Richie. You were on the phone with me when Jon knocked on my door. I haven’t really found out why he’s here and what he needs.”
“Oh, I bet I know what he needs,” Richie said with a knowing smirk.
“Guys,” Jon said, “I’m sorry. I just wanted to talk with Steph about something, but clearly you two had plans. What I had can wait until morning. I think I’ll just hit the shower and go to bed.”
“But Jon-“ Steph protested.
“No,” he said. “It’s not a big deal. I’m tired. I’ll just head to bed and leave you two to hang. Steph, breakfast for nine tomorrow.”
“Ok,” she said softly walking over to him by his door and leaning in and whispering in his ear, “I’m sorry, but part of the condition for me getting your best friend back for you was to be there for him if he needs me and is tempted to drink. You can stay if you want.”
Jon sighed, “It’s ok. I’ll see you in the morning.”
He gently closed the adjoining door behind him.
“Hey lady,” Richie said. “I’m sorry. Clearly I have the worst timing.”
“What’s there to be sorry about?” Steph asked. “He said the work could wait.”
“Honey, if you think that man was here to work, then you’ve got another thing coming. He was clearly jealous of you hanging out with me.”
“Jealous?” Steph asked confused.
“Yes,” Richie said. “He likes you. A lot. You’re just what he needs,” Richie said.
“Well, that’s all well and good, but I don’t need that right now, and he’s my boss.”
“Darlin’ I know women, and I know women well. Jonny gets confused by you guys all of the time but I don’t. I’ve only found one woman in my whole life that I don’t get, and I won’t tell you what happened with her. You may not know it yet, but you like him too. A lot.”
“Rich I-“
“It’s ok. You can deny it. You’re not ready to admit your feelings to anyone yet. Because you’re not even ready to admit it to yourself yet. But from what I’ve seen of the two of you together, I can’t wait until you are ready to admit this, because you two would be absolutely amazing together. He’s always been a driven workaholic, and for the last few years, he’s been…well how can I put this nicely? I can’t. He’s been an absolute ass. But you. You’ve changed that. He’s mellowed in  the last few weeks. I’m pretty sure that is 100% you and what you do for him.”
“I’m glad I’ve helped him,” she said softly, “But Richie, I’ve been through so much. And I want to open up to him. I do. I’m just not ready yet.”
“You will be, and I will be so thrilled for you guys when it does happen.”
"Any particular reason why you're pushing this so hard?" she asked him.
"Just want to see him happy, that's all," Richie said casually, "Well darlin' thanks for the talk, but its getting late and you have to get up early for Jonny in the morning. Get some sleep."
"You're alright?" She asked.
"Yup. Am just going to make a phone call to someone back home and hit the sack. I just needed someone to hang with for a bit. Goodnight Steph," he said.
"Night Rich."
"Think about what I said, ok?"
She rolled her eyes. "Goodnight Richie!"
With that he left her to her thoughts. 



******It's a short add...will add some more later this week***

2 comments:

  1. Yay, you updated! Thanks :)

    So...Richie is pushing the Steph/Jon thing so that he is free to move on with Dot. I could see things going badly down the track if he't not careful.

    Loving this story so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, we all know why Richie is pushing this. Very good story!
    I wonder if "Jon’s expression kind of hardened at the sight of Richie" was to signal that he's territorial of Steph or that Jon's had trouble with Richie and him liking the same woman in the past. hummmm???

    ReplyDelete